Our History

The Grange was founded in the 1920s when Peel Conner, which later became the GEC moved from Salford to Coventry to design and manufacture telephone exchange equipment. A huge tract of land was purchased on which was built the factory and housing for employees.

Included in the estate was the Grange House which was rebuilt in 1870. The house became a residence and club for the senior male staff employees and it was these residents who planned and initiated the golf course construction.

The fourth hole is named after Arthur Bowles who was the greenkeeper and club steward during the 1960s and 70s. The sixth hole is named in recognition of the long standing annual fixture with the Viewfield Golf Society from Scotland and their association with other GEC factories.

In 1840, Edward Goodall, a gentleman of Stoke, owned 78 acres of land known as Copsewood estate. A year later, Henry Brown, owned and occupied the estate with a house, outbuildings, pleasure grounds and buildings.  Also listed were 10 different plantations, four Hosier needs, a Croft, Road Home Close, Knight’s Close, Peartree Close, Middle Close, Far and Near Sour Dole, Rowley Mill, Moors, Big and Little Barn Close and Peartree Cockpit. The last, now part of the Grange golf course, partly derived from the popular pastime of cock fighting.

A tollgate and gatehouse stood 300 yards on the Coventry side of the Binley bridge not far from the main entrance to the Grange. In November 1772 the toll keeper, Charles Pinchbeck, was robbed and murdered by John Howe of Brinklow and Thomas Farn of Church Lawford. They were both found guilty, a gallows was erected near the scene of the crime and they were hanged.

After Sir R. Moon, a Mrs Mellowdew and her two daughters lived at the Grange – Mellowdew Road is named after her. Finally the Grange was bought by the GEC for use as a hostel and social centre for its first employees when the manufacture of telephone equipment was transferred from Salford, Lancashire, and was recognised as one of the best staff clubs and was also the clubhouse for the Marconi Golf Club.

In 2006 the Grange fell into disrepair following the closure of the GEC factory, but reopened in 2018 as stylish apartments.